Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Which way round does it go?!

So as I mentioned yesterday I have been exploring new things to make.

I've always liked to sew, but have been pretty useless at using patterns, until I got a copy of Sew Magazine - which I now subscribe too.

Not only do they give you a free pattern, but the instructions are really really clear.

I've had quite a few successes this year with their patterns - I made 2 beautiful tops and have modified the pattern to make a longer tunic style version - check me out!

Because of this success, I thought for Christmas it would be nice to try out a new tote bag pattern, it's working really well and I think they will be a hit!

I love Simplicity patterns, they are simple! I have a couple of new ones that I am going to try out over the Christmas break, as they are for dresses and you need a bit more time than I have right now. Also as I mentioned before I don't find sewing that relaxing, so it will be nice to sew when I have oodles of time.

Today's picture is of one of the patterns that I will be trying to make - a touch more advanced than usual, but I am getting braver and braver - especially now that I understand how to use patterns. I really want dress B, that is soooo going to become a wardrobe staple (if I get it right!). Dress b also looks like something I am coverting on the M&S website, so if I can make it for less than the 39.99 they want, I will be dead chuffed!

Making clothes is something I would love to do more, but it does require a bit more time than I generally have. I remember a really good piece of advice about not starting too many projects at once, as you can get overwhelmed with all the 'work in progress'.

The other good thing about using patterns is that you don't get so much waste, as you know exactly how much fabric you need. I have some really beautiful fabrics, that I am going to use to make the Cynthia Rowley dress b.

I love fabric so much and one of my favourite places is Gaga Fabrics, check out their store - their stuff is AMAZING! They sell Robert Kaufman fabric, Japanese imports, Amy Butler patterns (my summer tops were an Amy Butler pattern) and lots more. They aren't the cheapest, but price is not always the key - their range is so great and their shop is really easy to use and these things often make me happier than a bargain (geek).

Cx

p.s a final shout out to Pam from Chicks of a Feather, her blog has been my solace for such a long time, it fills me with joy to know that she reads mine and likes it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) commencing 25 May 2018 by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.

Thanks for swinging by and leaving a comment, I appreciate it..I will come and visit you too! IF YOU GET THE I'M NOT A ROBOT COMMENT, IGNORE IT AND CLICK PUBLISH AS NORMAL.
Thanks Cx