Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Graphic Baby Quilt...

Hey,

So far I have been to the gym twice this week and my butt has been kicked - BIG TIME!!

Anyway, remember how I can actually sew and make things other than cards?

One of my London based work colleagues has been a great friend to me since I started my job and when I heard that He and his wife were expecting I thought it would be nice to make a baby quilt for them.

Jim is a designer...so this means he is fussy, he had seen my quilt (FYI, still not 'quilted') and told me that he wanted something similar.

So I hunted for a Moda charm pack that was girly, but graphic. I decided to add pink and grey solid squares because the prints are quite full on.

The backing I found in my fave quilt store in NYC, it was on mega sale and was a lucky find as it is normally $29 a yard - NO!

This quilt came together in 4hrs - honest from start to finish, I had planned to do it over the course of 2 days, but once I got into my groove I just kept going.

There was a small panic (aka hissy fit) when I realised I didn't have any binding for the edge of the quilt. A massive hunt through my sewing boxes ensued and I found an ancient reel of pink spotty binding (from Amsterdam), which meant the swearing could be now kept to a minimum.

Here are the work in progress / finished shots that I shared on Instagram over the course of the day I was sewing the quilt...with a lot of moaning as I loathe and detest pinning...

The creative process + my beloved Sewing Machine
This was the first time I abandoned my usual method of adding the trim and I am glad that I did, I think my improvised method was much neater and quicker.

I am still in shock at how easy this was, it's a record for me and I am SO happy with the end result, as were Jim and his wife.

See I do, do other things with my time ;)

Cx


2 comments:

  1. Claire this looks wonderful, gorgeous, well done you, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, this is just fabulous! Great bit of modelling going on too! Cara x

    ReplyDelete

In line with new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) commencing 25 May 2018 by commenting you do so in the knowledge that your name & comment are visible to all who visit this blog and thereby consent to the use of that personal information for that specific purpose.

Thanks for swinging by and leaving a comment, I appreciate it..I will come and visit you too! IF YOU GET THE I'M NOT A ROBOT COMMENT, IGNORE IT AND CLICK PUBLISH AS NORMAL.
Thanks Cx